All Silverlight dependency is now removed in WATS. If you are running an older version of WATS (On prem), please contact Virinco support to schedule an upgrade.
Virinco recognize that Silverlight (SL) is not being further developed by Microsoft and are scheduled for end support in 2021. Virinco are committed to end use of SL before end of support. At the same time, SL offer advanced functionality that may not be trivial to implement using HTML(5) and may require other 3rd party tools or plug-ins if not using SL. At the time Virinco chose SL, HTML was not a viable alternative.
At the same time, it has always been important to Virinco that the WATS product should offer customers easy access to applications through the use of web browsers.
Another option we have is to transfer WATS web applications to Windows applications using Windows 10 “App distribution” technology, but this platform is still new to most customers. Also, customers using other OS vendors shall not be left out.
Many WATS features are already transferred to HTML(5), but some are still using SL waiting for a more mature technology, web or app.
It is also important to emphasize that all common functionality widely used in WATS for reporting, dashboards, set-up and configuration is not using SL.
The applications still using SL is advanced features depending on in-depth technology and are listed below.
Operator Interface (OI)
- Integration with computer HW like scanners and cameras - Complete
- Migration development started. Transfer of functionality will happen in the following sequence:
- Framework, Serial Number History, Unit History - Beta testing scheduled for 2017.3, Scheduled for release 2018.1 - Completed
- GUI for adding Repair Report, Non-submitted reports - Beta testing scheduled for 2018.1, Scheduled for release 2018.2 - Completed
- GUI for adding Manual Inspection - Beta testing scheduled for 2018.3, Scheduled for release 2019.1 - Completed
- GUI for Workflow Execution - Beta testing scheduled for 2019.2, Scheduled for release 2019.3 - Completed
- Product Manager
- Scheduled to be transferred to HTML in 2018.1. In 2018.2 release - Completed
- Software Manager (distributing software packages to the test stations, part of our MES offering)
- Software Manager (SM) require access to OS and file properties like created and save date. SM also has an integration option with source safe systems and advanced upload features. - Beta testing scheduled for 2020.3, Scheduled for release 2021.1 - Completed
Station Map (global map of all test stations based on their GPS coordinates)
- Will be implemented in new Dashboard platform. Beta testing scheduled for 2019.3, Scheduled for release 2020.1/2020.2 - Completed
Article is closed for comments.